Sunday, July 17, 2011

A Bump in the Road

Our profile books were finally finished, approved, and ready to be ordered. I "randomly" decided to order a 5x7 paperback book for a personal keepsake. It wasn't a random act at all though, because it was the very book that linked us to our (future) son. I made sure to order the nicest 8x10 hardcover profile books for the birthmothers to look through. Little did I know the paperback book was faster to process and would be delivered just a couple days later.

June 20, 2011
The morning of June 20th was frustrating as I attempted to call the UPS store to find our order. No help – it was already on the truck and there was no way to get a hold of the driver. I prayed and waited for the brown truck to pull in our driveway carrying the hardcover books. If birthmother “P” was to view our profile at 2:00 that afternoon we desperately needed the profiles! The clock struck one 'o clock and we left the house with the "random” paperback book I intended to use as a keepsake. We arrived at Bethany right before the social worker got into her car to meet birthmother "P". After passing off the book, Kevin and I breathed a sigh of relief. Even if nothing came of it, at least we knew we did our best.

Later that night, what do you think was lying on our doorstep? Of course- the three, beautiful 8x10 hardcover profile books!

June 23, 2011
We were on our way to Indiana for our anniversary and we stopped into the Bethany's East Lansing office to visit Elisa (our case worker and now precious friend). She had the official copy of our home study that needed our final signatures. As my husband and I sat and signed our official home study it was a strange feeling to sign a paper that took so much time and effort to complete. It took Elisa forty hours to write and that is not including all the visiting time, emailing, phone calls, etc. What a labor of love!

My husband and I asked about birthmother “P” and if she had selected a family yet. Elisa reassured us that we would receive an email notifying us of her decision or a phone call if we were the chosen family. I mentioned in passing, “Please don’t call me for questions then because my stomach will be in knots when I see your name on my phone!” We laughed and Elisa said, “If I do call you with questions, I will begin the conversation with – I’m only calling concerning such and such….” I didn’t think too much about that little conversation until just four days later...

No comments:

Post a Comment